Monday, March 22, 2010

I Need a Vacation

The jobs of a Sheriff are never done. This past week has been a lethal combination of both busy and frustrating and to say that I am pleased it is now behind me could really be quite the understatement.

Golfing with @RomanLucious and @DraculaYTM was probably the highlight of my week (despite losing, which I will never acknowledge aloud), if only because it was the only night I was truly able to unwind. Bending that obnoxious gold putter of Andre's over the Deputy's head only really sweetened the event. The good is hardly what I need to get out right now, however. The frustrating matters are far more pressing in my mind.

@MadeJessica has been a nearly constant presence at Fangtasia and that has been the source of more than a few problems as of late. To say that I am annoyed that the newborn spends so much time on her own is putting things far more mildly than they deserve. @BeelCompton may not have been a Maker before, but all vampires know the responsibilities of one and when it comes to Jessica, he is failing. Of course, this really comes as no surprise to me. Compton is a fuck up who always seems to have his own (very boring) agenda, but that doesn't excuse completely disregarding his child. The girl is ignorant, uninformed, and entirely incapable of even the most rudimentary elements of being one of the undead. This week alone she has drained or nearly drained half a dozen humans. She has no control whatsoever, is incapable of glamoring, has no idea how to clean up her messes, and is constantly attempting to backtalk her elders. It leaves me perpetually torn between contemplating ending her and pitying her for the halfassed Maker she didn't desire nor ask for. I have to nearly constantly remind myself that not only is she new to this existence, the girl is a child by even mere human standards. Her immaturity and confusion is actually justified. The only thing that isn't is her Maker's seldom presence in her existence.

Her mistakes are costly. Early in the week, @TB_Sookie and Jessica made their way to Fangtasia to inform me there was a human in the hospital in Monroe covered in savage fang wounds that the media had gotten wind of. It was, of course, Jessica's doing. If an organization such as the Fellowship of the Sun heard about such a human, he would have become the poster child for their ridiculous propaganda. I do not know if it is commonly believed that vampires can clean such messes with ease or not, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Breaking into hospitals, stealing records, making certain security footage is obtained and erased, disposing of bodies... the amount of fangpower I've had to devote to cleaning up after Bill's child is ridiculous, but can I really fault her? At the end of the night, I cannot. She simply does not know any better and no one is teaching her otherwise. Teaching her is no simple feat either, however. When Roman and I attempted to instruct her in the proper way to glamor one of the living, our words fell on ears that couldn't bring themselves to pay attention. I keep reminding myself she has to learn and that it will take time, but these are things Bill should have started on long ago already.

The problems were only further compressed last night at @VampHadley and @Aidan_Berwick's reception following their elopement held at @Fangtasia_Queen's eststate in New Orleans. I'm not entirely sure how Jessica managed to get to New Orleans on her own, but she did, and while there, and while there, she managed to find a human she fully intended on draining. Thankfully, Sookie caught a fleeting glimpse into the intended victim's head and we were able to interfere before she had the chance to drain someone at the Queen's compound, but I found myself in near disbelief. The wrath she could incur for such blatant error is unthinkable and that didn't seem to register wither her whatsoever. Can I blame her? Can I fault her? When I look into her eyes I can tell she truly doesn't know. It baffles me. I forbade her from feeding on a human for the rest of the night and left her under the supervision of a demon who works in the Queen's service. Still, color me annoyed. These are not my responsibilities, despite being her Sheriff. These are Bill's and he should have been taking care of them long ago.

I shouldn't have been remotely surprised when I received a text message from the demon telling me Jessica was at Fangtasia. I should have known she would be more trouble than @NolanFerrior could handle on his first night in charge of the club, but unlike Compton, I have trained my newborn well and the faith and trust I have in him has been earned. It isn't simply so I can have a night to myself. I wasn't terribly surprised when shortly following I began receiving messages from @AbiStewart informing me there was trouble at the club. The trouble had spread outside my club, however. When I made the run to Fangtasia, I came across three fresh corpses in an alley not far from the entrance to my door, all showing clear signs of having been drained by a vampire. I knew immediately who was responsible and simply couldn't believe it. Does it even register with her the damage this behavior could cause? Sookie was attacked by the Fellowship on Sunday, taken within an inch of her life simply for being involved with the undead. Three corpses right outside my door says we are no better than the Fellowship says.

This behavior is jeopardizing my business, the soul income for my Area. It puts me and a position I have spent a thousand years earning in danger, it puts the vampires within Fangtasia and even those outside it at great risk from radical retaliation, it sends police and other law enforcement into my business... the list goes on and on. Mistakes I can tolerate, especially when the vampires responsible clean up after themselves, but leaving a trail of dead bodies almost directly upon my doorstep is inexcusable. Nothing seems to sink in. Warning after warning has been ignored. I am her Sheriff (though I wonder if she even knows what that means), not her babysitter. She attacked Nolan, threatened Abigale, and put my business in danger all after nearly making a mess of Area Five by leaving a corpse at the Queen's. It is time to make her understand the ramifications of her actions. With little reservation, I informed her I would see to it that Bill was not only informed of her recent actions, but punished for them. It is his duty to see to her training and to monitor her behavior. Her very existence was meant to be an obligation to Compton. There are many who would be infuriated to know their orders are being skirted and I can hardly fault them.

I realize the mere threat of reporting these things will no doubt incur me wrath from Sookie, but it is for Jessica's own good. I will possibly give the newborn one more chance to actually listen, but I am beginning to believe she truly is incapable of such a thing. Three dead outside of Fangtasia is risking more than I am willing to endanger.

Fucking newborns.

No comments:

Post a Comment